Village of Pleasantville historian Carsten Johnson has kept track of the architectural changes to the Marmaduke Forster house over its 215 years – from a farmhouse, to Gothic Revival to Queen Anne, with elements from each era overlapping.
Marmaduke Forster, a colonial carpenter from New York City built this farmhouse in 1786.
The house was remodeled in the 1870's by Henry
Hobby, who owned several apple orchards. In 1895, George Washburn bought the house for himself,
his wife and their
In the “too strange to be a coincidence” category, after the Marmaduke
Partners, LLC, purchased the house for restoration, the managing member, Nancy Rosanoff, discovered
that one of her relatives